"DON'T ASK FOR A MILLION DOLLARS" - A Valuable Takeaway From A Rolling Stone Article

I've piled on quite a stack of unread magazine titles which I intend to digest before tossing them. It usually takes me two to three days to finish one particular issue. I'm working through my Rolling Stone magazine subscription. As of this writing, I'm about halfway through Issue #1265/1266, July 14-29, 2016. On the cover is Hip Hop artist, Future.



Not particularly into the Hip Hop genre but I still read Future's interview by Brian Hiatt over lunch. I'm always in search for nuggets of wisdom from anything and anywhere. In this case, it was the last couple of paragraphs on page 53, where a stripper asked him what he prays for. Regardless of the circumstances where the question was posed, his answer, in my opinion, was highly profound.

"Don't ask for a million dollars", he says. "Ask for the stuff that'll get you a million dollars - your health, your brain, your sanity, wisdom. Prepare me for when I do get that million. Make sure I don't go crazy, make sure I help my family. You don't want to ask for a big-ass house and you burn the bitch down, and then you say, 'God, give it to me again'.
He pauses, and for a moment allows himself to embody the voice of God. " 'You begged for it,'" he says, "'and you don't know how to handle it.'"

I'm tearing this page out and putting my highlighter pen to task. This one's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are subject to review. Inappropriate or offensive comments will be denied automatically.